Becca Chopra chose self-publishing rather than bother with sending out query letters to traditional publishers. Find out which vendor she recommends for her marketing materials and learn about a website with free advice for indies.
1. Give me the “elevator pitch” for your book in five to ten sentences.
Chakra Secrets is a memoir and more. Follow me on my path from aspiring actress to yoga teacher and chakra healer. Navigating betrayals and loss, tormented by guilt, I explore kundalini, tantric sex, past-life regression and mind-body tools as I earn my credentials as an energy healer and finally find love and light. You’ll not only learn my personal secrets, but the “instant” healing tool I learned in Hawaii that you can use anytime, anywhere to eliminate pain, stress and clear the path for healing on all levels.
2. Why did you become an indie writer?
I didn’t have the patience to send out query letters to agents. Rather, I decided to self-publish and save myself a lot of time.
3. Have you been traditionally published? Why or why not?
No. I haven’t tried – but I won’t turn down a traditional publisher if they approach me.
4. How have you liked self-publishing so far?
There was a learning curve, of course, to make sure my books looked professional, but I’m happy with the results I’ve gotten from my editors, book cover designers and CreateSpace publishing.
5. Tell me about the marketing techniques you’ve used to sell your books. Which ones have been the most successful?
While my books are dramatic stories, they weave in chakra and yoga wisdom. And I find most of my audience is interested in just that – being entertained while learning how to balance their lives. So, I’ve offered free chakra meditations for download on my website and offer lots of useful information on both my website and blogs – resulting in a list of people interested in my next offering. Also, using KDP Select to offer free books has helped my Amazon rankings and word of mouth about my books, increased customer reviews, and resulted in more sales.
6. Which services or vendors do you recommend for the marketing methods you used?
For giveaways, such as yoga tote bags, note cards, T-shirts and calendars with the cover of my book on them, you can’t beat the prices at Vistaprint.com.
7. What’s the most important thing you’ve learned about self-publishing that you didn’t know when you started out?
That you have to find your niche and continually interact with it. You need to set aside time for social networking and marketing efforts as they are just as important as writing a great book.
8. Indie authors face the challenge of marketing their books without the resources of traditional publishers. What advice do you have for an indie just starting out?
Read all the free advice online from other indie authors. For instance, download the free book marketing checklist from IndieAuthorCounsel.com. Even most traditionally published authors have to do their own marketing these days. So we all need to be experts at writing press releases as well as books.
9. What are you currently working on?
Now that I’ve published Balance Your Chakras, Balance Your Life on Kindle to expand on the self-healing technique I describe in Part II of my memoir, Chakra Secrets, I’m producing a DVD which will take viewers step-by-step through the process.
10. If you could market your brand – not just one particular book, but your overall brand of writing – in one sentence, what would it be?
Balance your chakras, balance your life!